Tuesday, October 06, 2009

September 18, 2009




Teton Splendor

The National Parks
It has been many years since I began painting twenty of America’s National Parks for the PBS series “The Grand View, America's National Parks through the Eyes of an Artist. ” Lately, I have been yearning to return to the wilderness near Yellowstone and paint along the way. Earlier this year, we bought a 1970 Silver Streak Trailer (pictured below), and after much preparation, we hooked it onto my truck, and began our exciting journey. The next few blogs come from observations that I wrote in my daily journal and paintings that I sketched of locations that captured my eye along the way. So, come along with us as we travel through the northwestern corner of Wyoming on our road trip to the Tetons and Yellowstone National Park.

September 18, 2009
As we approach Jackson, Wyoming, we travel off the main road onto on old prospector’s trail. The ruts are deep and it is hard to move forward with the trailer. After about a mile, the truck cannot go any further on this dirt road, so I collect my paint supplies and hike up the pass by foot. All through the day, cool breezes and a few light showers signal that the seasons are changing and winter is on the way. The aspen trees are also changing as their green summer tops turn into a more suitable coat of yellows, oranges, magenta, and browns. Thick layers of clouds cover the Teton Mountains. From time to time, the clouds clear revealing the mountain's majestic crags and peaks above the foothills so beautifully sprinkled with aspen trees and colored with a thousand gorgeous autumn hues. SWB

For a FREE book on everything I know about painting go to http://www.thegrandview.com/