Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Mt. Shasta Barn Opus 1




(Bid On This Painting)
This will take you over to eBay




I spent another day on Old Stage Road in Mt Shasta and again I am inspired by the old barns that surround us. This barn is just yards from the one that I painted yesterday. It is also about the same time of day. I have included a step by step on this one on my blog for artists to see how it was painted.

The question that students ask the most in my classes is “How do I paint that?” The individual recipe of any artist belongs to that artist alone. Though you may find it interesting to know exactly how I painted this painting, you will not be able to create art in the same way. However, over time, you will develop your own way of seeing and painting, and this is what makes creating art so rewarding.

It does help to see other artist’s different approaches and to explore different ways of thinking and painting by viewing other artist’s methods. It is a great way to grow as an artist because it may help you think differently. Try not to look for a “how-to” formula when you start a painting. The joy of creating art is discovering your own way of expressing what you see. So, jump right in and you will find that you have the answers to your own questions as you go along. You will come to understand that every artist has struggled with the same question, “how do I paint that?” You are not alone!

First, I lay in the overall concept of my painting using a big brush. At this moment, I try to visualize the finished painting. Many great paintings are lost because the artist has no vision before he starts.





I begin by sketching the easy shapes and I make every stroke correct. I make corrections as I go instead of waiting until the end to get it right. I start with the chosen center of interest and work out from there.




Next, I lay in the sky and I don’t make it complicated. I use plenty of paint and apply the strokes in different patterns. Then I “chunk” in the values with no more than 4 to 5 value planes.







The completed painting should have soft and hard edges, good values, and a strong focal point. I use the knife to scratch in many of the sticks and branches. Many artists also scratch in their name when they finish so that they can indicate to other artists that they completed the painting on location.



It is interesting that creating art is such a solitary process. Most artists throughout the world spend endless hours in their studios creating art alone. It is only in the moments we are truly working on our own art that we experience the fundamental connection that we share with all makers of art, and it helps to know that there are other artists out there doing the same thing I am doing.


I hope that we can build a community of artists that can share information with each other.If you know of any artists that might appreciate being included, let them know about this blog.I hope to offer more painting tips as this conversation continues.

If you have questions that you would like me to answer, please don’t hesitate to email me anytime.I welcome your feedback. Stefan_Baumann@yahoo.com

5 Comments:

Blogger Skree said...

Serene and beautiful...I am very inspired by your daily paintings, and am envious of your being able to do so daily. This painting is very inspiring, I can feel the cold, crisp air. I like the way you started this painting, very basic yet solid, and the outcome tells me a story...beautiful. Thanks for sharing all your paintings.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Jo Castillo said...

I like this barn, well, I'm partial to barns. Nice complements in this.

3:20 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

sac hermes, replica handbags, lululemon canada, true religion jeans, coach purses, nike air max uk, air max, michael kors pas cher, guess pas cher, true religion outlet, converse pas cher, abercrombie and fitch uk, nike tn, true religion outlet, polo lacoste, north face uk, kate spade, new balance, ray ban pas cher, nike free run, nike air max uk, coach outlet, michael kors, michael kors outlet, vans pas cher, sac vanessa bruno, nike roshe, north face, jordan pas cher, mulberry uk, burberry pas cher, sac longchamp pas cher, hollister uk, nike free uk, hollister pas cher, ray ban uk, hogan outlet, nike air force, ralph lauren uk, michael kors, nike roshe run uk, louboutin pas cher, coach outlet store online, nike air max, oakley pas cher, polo ralph lauren, timberland pas cher, longchamp pas cher, nike blazer pas cher, true religion outlet

6:56 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

juicy couture outlet, ugg pas cher, moncler, coach outlet, pandora jewelry, converse, pandora jewelry, pandora uk, swarovski crystal, hollister, moncler outlet, canada goose, doudoune moncler, ugg uk, toms shoes, canada goose uk, louis vuitton, canada goose outlet, moncler, louis vuitton, swarovski, karen millen uk, supra shoes, gucci, louis vuitton, thomas sabo, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, canada goose outlet, canada goose, wedding dresses, barbour uk, juicy couture outlet, moncler outlet, nike air max, canada goose outlet, links of london, replica watches, pandora charms, barbour, lancel, marc jacobs, hollister, canada goose jackets, ugg, vans, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, ray ban, montre pas cher, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, canada goose, converse outlet, moncler

7:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

zhengjx20160601
adidas running shoes
toms shoes
air jordan 8
adidas uk
concord 11
red bottom shoes
michael kors outlet online sale
nike roshe run
designer handbags
coach outlet
air jordan homme
louis vuitton outlet stores
louis vuitton purses
cheap louis vuitton handbags
ray ban outlet
nike uk
tory burch outlet online
gucci belts
coach outlet clearance
louis vuitton purses
coach outlet clearance
michael kors outlet
adidas running shoes
kate spade outlet
toms wedges
nike air max 90
ghd hair straighteners
michael kors outlet clearance
louis vuitton outlet
michael kors outlet clearance
celine bags
marc jacobs outlet
nike air huarache
michael kors outlet
ed hardy outlet
fit flops
nike sb dunks
timberland boots
michael kors outlet
ray ban eyeglasses

1:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home